[GNC] Transaction Report Preference missing?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 07:09:31 EST 2019

Hello,

Long time user; MacOS Mojave, GnuCash 3.4. I have a saved report I use around this time of year (I call it “W-2 - David”) that shows me the total amounts assigned to a subset of my expense accounts (i.e., my tax expense accounts).

The purpose of this report is to allow me to compare my GnuCash numbers to the numbers issued to me by my employer. In GnuCash 2.6.19, this report looks something like this:

———————————————————————

From 01/01/2018 To 12/31/2018

Fed
Total For Fed	$XXXXX.XX
Medicare
Total For Medicare	$XXXXX.XX
Soc Sec
Total For Soc Sec	$XXXXX.XX
State
Total For State	$XXXXX.XX
Grand Total	$XXXXX.XX

———————————————————————

As I said, this report is intended to match my employer’s reporting, so I can compare the two.

However, when I run the *SAME REPORT* in GnuCash 3.4, I get unsatisfactory changes to the results. My LITERAL results are:

———————————————————————

From 01/01/2018 to 12/31/2018

Account
Fed
Fed
Fed
Fed
Fed
Fed
Fed
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Medicare
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
Soc Sec
State
State
State
State
State
State
State
State

Now, there are two significant problems here: first, every transaction for the year gets a line, and second, THERE ARE NO AMOUNTS. I have tinkered with every setting I can find on the report options, but I cannot find the setting that will display ONLY THE TOTALS. It would appear that in a recent update to this report, the “NONE” option on line amounts has been removed.

Unless someone can point me to the obvious place where I missed this setting, I believe this is a regression in the report. I ought to be able to display a report that includes totals only.

David T.