[GNC] Australian Stock Quotes

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:52:08 EST 2019

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:56:37 +0530
From: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
To: normanj <njessup at tpg.com.au>
Cc: Gnucash Users <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Australian Stock Quotes

Norman,

Glad to help. In the future, be sure to ?Reply All? so that your message
gets back to the list. That way, everyone gets to hear the denouement.

David

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 5:35 PM, Norman Jessup <njessup at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> Thanks David,
>
> This is very helpful
>
> regards,
>
> Norman Jessup
>

> On 16/1/19 10:24 pm, David T. wrote:
>> Norman,
>>
>> While the ?FinanceQuote Update? module might not have been changed since
2010, *Finance Quote* (which actually performs quote retrieval for GnuCash)
most certainly has been updated numerous times since then. If you *run*
?FinanceQuote Update,? it will ? update Finance Quote for you. The most
recent version of Finance::Quote is 1.47, and is dated November 12, 2017.

>> Please note that there has been a huge amount of discussion about F::Q
over the last year and a half (which is probably what underlies your note
about it stopping working); to keep the story short, Yahoo! decided to stop
providing price quotes. From the resulting hullaballoo, F::Q changed primary
quote providers, either to AlphaVantage or to Yahoo! Json. You will need to
reset your commodities each to use a currently-valid source. Much of this is
explained on the wiki at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F>
Note Paragraph 3.

<mailto:njessup at tpg.com.au>> wrote:

>>> A year or two (or three) ago the share price tool stopped working for
>>> Australian shares.   I saw some forum posts suggesting that source of
>>> Australian quotes was no longer available and needed to be changed.
>>>
>>> While there have been several new version of GnuCash released since
>>> then, the FinanceQuote Update module does not appear to have changed
since 2010.

>>> I've tried without success to modify the tool myself.  Is anyone
>>> able to point me towards detailed instructions about what I need to do
to fix this?
>>> or possibly where I can download a more up-to-date version of the tool?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>>> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html>

Hi Norman,

There is already a fix (from me) for using the ASX as a source in
Finance::Quote which has been merged [1] and is waiting (since Jul 16, 2018)
for a new release (1.48?).

The (main?) F::Q maintainer Erik Colson has said he no longer has time and
asked for volunteers to take over. A couple of months ago (I think) some-one
did volunteer but I haven't seen any progress yet.

As it has been a while, it is possible my latest fix no longer works either.
I haven't tested the ASX lately as there are 2 alternatives:
1) Yahoo_JSON
2) AlphaVantage (you may need to put a sleep into the perl code if you have
many stocks).

If you are still interested in modifying F::Q:
a) You will need to program in perl (you must know that already but I'm
saying this for others) and know a little about html.
b) The git repository is here: [2] There is some useful info in the
README.md at the bottom of this page.

[1] https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/pull/82
[2] https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote

Regard, Chris Good