[GNC] Windows/Ubuntu Transportable Data File?

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Jan 18 18:32:37 EST 2019

Larry,

As Steve and Adrien hav pointed out v3.3 is supported by Ubuntu 18.10 i.e. available from the software centre and
Windows has downloads for 3.4 (and previous versions
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/).

If you want to stay right up to date buidling GnuCash on Ubuntu is not too difficult. I usually runmy own build the
current stable release as a production version and have the master and/or  maint branches of development version
available for testing (but never on my production data files only copies of them).

Another option for transporting files between computers on a local network is to install samba (network access to
Microsoft File system) on your ubuntu system and setup samba shares between your windows and ubuntu systems. Getting the
permissions sorted can be fun. There are plenty of tutorials/instructions online for Ubuntu systems. Once up and working
access can be pretty seamless.

I use a copy of my datafile in my Dropbox account for portability between computers and use cron jobs to maintain
separate backups on all my computers and an NAS. Need to be careful not to have it open from two machines at once  and
give it time to synchronize after closing the file on one machine and opening it on another (usually < 1min) but other
than that it is seamless.

David Cousens