[GNC] Reconciliation is not adding up correctly - what to do??

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Jan 19 05:37:03 EST 2019

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 10:21:52 GMT john_mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just reconciled a number of account perfectly normally but now I am
> having a problem.
>
> I have moved on to a different account and the reconciliation totals are not
> adding up correctly.
>
> The account opening balance was negative. I cleared funds into the account
> but instead of the negative balance becoming less the negative balance
> became greater.
>
> I cleared all the funds in and funds out. The difference between these
> cleared totals was correct and should have resulted in a reconciliation
> difference of 0.00. It didn't it, resulted in a reconciliation difference of
> double that required to reach zero.
>
> The start difference was £72.15.
>
> Funds in was £331.12
>
> Funds out was £258.97
>
> The i.e. net movement £72.15.
>
> But the reconciliation balance was £144.30
>

> Why is this happening and what can be done to solve it?
>

> TIA

Hi,

the usual advice is firstly to ignore the opening balance and try and reconcile
anyway - a transaction from an earlier period may have been (unwittingly) un-
reconciled by you editing something in one of the other registers affecting
the transaction.

Have you possibly put a transaction in the wrong column - eg a retailer refund
to a credit card is easy (with auto-complete's help) to put in as a purchase
without realizing that you still need to swap the transfer columns?

HTH,
Maf.

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542