[GNC] Reconciliation is not adding up correctly - what to do??

john_mike mikestillingfleet at fastmail.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 12:38:19 EST 2019

I have done several tests today.

I have set number various fake accounts with type credit card.

I all cases the reconciliation does not work. In every case the opening
balance, ending balance, in's and outs have been correctly entered and very
carefully checked. But in each case it was necessary to create a balancing
entry to close out the reconciliation.

I have read up on the GNUcash help regarding reconciliation of a credit card
account. I have followed this to the letter and it make no difference.

I conclude that reconciling a credit card type account is not possible.

I have therefore looked and moving all the transaction to a normal asset
account where I know the reconciliation does work.

I did some tests using the delete and move transaction to a new account -
unfortunately this does not work as you are only allowed to move a credit
card type to another credit card type.

I am therefore starting the process of cut and paste to move from a credit
card type to and asset type account. It is several 1000 entries so it is
going to take a little while.

It would be nice if someone could explain why reconciling a credit card type
of account cannot be reconciled.

I hope this post stops someone else falling into this trap.