[GNC] Reconciliation is not adding up correctly - what to do??

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 19 16:26:51 EST 2019

The reconciliation procedure works fine for me  on several bank accounts, my
credit card and paypal accounts in V2.6.19 and earlier, V3.1, V3.2, V3.3 and
V3.4 provided previous reconciliations of the account were correct and no
transactions have been accidentally unreconciled.

In the example you quote you have a starting difference of 72.15. The net
movement of 72.15  and an end balance of 144.30 which is as it should be:

closing balance = starting balance +funds in -funds out
144.30 = 72.15 + 331.12 - 258.97 = 114.30

You can only get a reconciliation difference of 0 if the starting balance
(generated by previous reconciliation) is actually the balance in your
account at the specified start date. AFAIK the starting balance shown in the
dialog is the reconciled balance at the end of the last reconciled period.
Any changes made to reconciled transactions before that date after they have
been reconciled will change the actual starting balance in the account from
the reconciled value. I think it was possible to make changes to reconciled
transactions in one register by editing one of the other splits to the
transaction in some earlier versions of GnuCash and this automatically
unreconciled the transaction. I think recent changes only unreconcile a
transaction if specific information about the transaction and/or the amount
of the split affecting the reconciled account are changed but not sure
whether this is the case for the current release or not.

First thing to check is for any unreconciled transactions before the start
date of the reconciliation you are having problems with. If you find any go
back and redo the reconciliations forward from the period which contained
the unreconciled transaction to make sure everything is correct. The
starting difference of 72.15 being the same as the difference in funds in
and funds out suggests some sort of regular transaction for 72.15 might be
unrecorded or unreconciled.
Good luck

David Cousens

-----