[GNC] Importing QIF results into duplicate entry

Chitresh Bhushan chitresh4u at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 11:46:52 EST 2019

Hi all,

I am trying to switch to gnucash. I have exported all my data in QIF format
from the old software I was using, moneyguru (
https://github.com/hsoft/moneyguru). However, when I import the exported
QIF file in gnucash, I see a lot of duplicate entries in gnucash, resulting
to incorrect balances. Moneyguru also uses double-entry accounting, so I
was hoping this transition would be easy.

To reproduce the behavior, I have linked below a sample (tiny) QIF file
exported from moneyguru. Can someone take a look and check if the file
format is correct? Or am I doing something wrong during the import? I am
new to gnucash and using gnucash 2.6.19 on Ubuntu.

The sample file generates duplicates in checking and credit-card accounts
(for $980 entry) on importing. My actual data has more than 8 yrs of
entries.. so its quite big with a lot of duplicates.

Sample QIF file exported from moneyguru:
https://peep.updog.co/shared/tiny_export.qif (381 bytes)

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
CB