[GNC] I can't get the budget feature to work.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jan 25 01:10:44 EST 2019

Glad to see you have it working.

Certainly, feedback to the user is important. The challenge is trying to determine (or guess) if the result was intended or not. GnuCash allows for users to heavily customize their chart of accounts to meet their individual needs. I’ve learned over the years that what appears as a bug to one person, might be desired behavior by another. Of course, the tools provided should work.

I think in this case, some sort of test would need to be performed for GnuCash to check if any result was returned at all, and then if not, alert the user to the problem. There are some reports which do this already. (they will show a message indicating you need to set some options first to obtain any usable output)

If you can reliably repeat the steps necessary to produce the ’not working’ condition and can well describe this condition, preferably with some screenshots, please file a bug on it. That won’t mean it will get tended to right away, but it will be documented as something needing attention for when developers do get to improving the budget module.(or any other part of the software so affected)

Regards,
Adrien