[GNC] How to remove unused accounts

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Jan 25 10:02:28 EST 2019

Hi,

On Fri, January 25, 2019 9:51 am, Lorrie Laskey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a few old, unused accounts with dollars amounts that are not
> accurate that are showing up when doing reports, skewing the data.
>
> How do I delete the accounts but not the transactions?

When you delete an account, GnuCash will ask you what to do with all the
transactions in the account.  Your choices are basically:

  * move them into another account, or
  * move them into Orphan-XXX (where XXX is the currency)

There is no way to "mass delete" a bunch of transactions.

> Credit card payments were made from my checking account, so deleting the
> transactions would remove them from the checking account.

Let me ask you a different question here..  Credit card payments were made
from your checking account to the CC account -- so if THOSE transactions
were correct, then... where is the problem?  Is the problem that you did
not account for your actual CC charges?

What balances are "off"?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745