[GNC] Printer Problems

Dean Gibson gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com
Sun Jan 27 13:27:22 EST 2019

On 2019-01-27 06:45, David Carlson wrote:

> I would suggest either setting up a virtual computer with a recent Linux
> version such as Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04, or acquiring an older machine from a
> computer recycler and putting Linux on it for GnuCash as well as other
> basic compu[t]er needs.
>

> David C

I don't know if this will help anyone, but if anyone is running Windows
10 x64, there is a new feature addition to Windows 10 called "Windows
Subsystem for Linux" ("WSL") that you can enable, & then install (free)
Linux distributions from the Microsoft Store:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

The install is absolutely trivial.  Ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04 distributions
are available, but I've installed Debian, & run some fairly complex bash
scripts without a problem.

That having been said, WSL is supported & primarily intended for running
command-line programs, although some have been able to run a Linux GUI
on it:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/993225/whats-the-easiest-way-to-run-gui-apps-on-wsl-as-of-2018

All that having been said, I have no idea if WSL supports printing. I
doubt it, but I thought I'd throw this out as a possible alternative to
running a VM.  WSL is much more "lightweight" than a VM, but takes a LOT
less resources.