[GNC] PDF export of reports

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 10:11:52 EST 2019

On 1/26/2019 10:57 AM, Raimund Strehl wrote:
> If I am not mistaken the same problem occurs when printing the report from Gnucash using print to pdf or to a printer. I think this is an issue that should have high priority as the export and print functions are rendered unusable by this.
> Any coders listening in here?  :-)
> Raimund
>
> Raimund
Not EXACTLY unusable (export and print)

What you mean is that you can't do this DIRECTLY from gnucash. You have
to first export, perhaps into a format other than the final format you
want, convert that to another format, and print.

<< In other words, leaving aside gnucash for a moment, if you had some
document (not now a PDF) and you wanted that to be a PDF and you wanted
to print that PDF, how would you go about it. And if you can't answer
that immediately, if you had to learn to do some things first, THAT is
your real problem. Probably most of us who end up producing PDF
documents do not create them with a PDF capable word processor (Adobe
does not give THAT out for free) >>

Mind, I do not consider having to go through some process like that
extra work. The "finished product" (the financial reports) that as
treasurer I hand out to the directors at a meeting are NOT the raw
reports as coming out of gnucash. As treasurer, needing to also report
to various authorities, I need different levels of detail. And I want
the reports the boards look at to be "pretty printed" (maybe different
things in different size fonts, some things bold, annotations added,
etc.). In other words I want to be using a full feature editor, unfair
to expect gnucash to provide that internally.

Were I just producing personal printouts, I might resent the extra steps
more.

Michael D Novack