[GNC] cut/paste problem in 3.4?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jul 2 13:11:19 EDT 2019

I never cut and paste whole transactions either. I’ve always just re-assigned one of the splits. (either via jump if I’m changing the anchor split, or rarely, using the Journal)

I thought this function was used more for copying or moving transactions between two open files, so I’ve never bothered. (and changing account assignments seems more proper to me)

However, testing the feature just for this thread, I was able to successfully move a transaction from one register to another. (and back again)

This transaction had two splits for accounts A & B.

I entered the register for account A and cut it.

Then I opened the register for account C and pasted it.

GnuCash re-assigned the transaction to be between B & C. Account A was no longer involved. (I also tested the reverse, cutting from register B and posting in C. That also worked.)

It seems like a handy feature, but apparently has some hiccups on occasion.

I wonder, the OP didn’t note the currencies involved. Perhaps the intended target is in a different currency? (though I should think that one would have been obviously noted as a manual re-assignment should trigger the exchange rate dialog)

Regards,
Adrien