[GNC] best accounting practice for refund

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jul 4 03:36:09 EDT 2019

As guess as to what might have happened:
When you select the invoice and credit note in the payment window, gnucash
will automatically calculate the difference between them and set the payment
or refund field to that amount. That is, it assumes you intend to fully "pay"
for all the documents selected so far.
If you then just hit ok, it will create a payment or refund split for the
difference amount to the account that was still selected as transfer account
(which presumably was your liabilities account as gnucash remembers the last
transfer account from a previous transaction).

If on the other hand you only want to use part of the credit note to pay the
invoice, you have to tweak the fields in the lower half of the payment window.
I think in your particular case you want to change the amount (payment or
refund) to zero before clicking Ok.

Moving the split back to A/R is not a good idea in this case. It will probably
confuse matters more. From what I understand your payment transaction will
have three splits:
- One for the full invoice amount (in AR)
- One for the full credit note amount (in AR)
- One for the offsetting payment (in Liabilities)

The payment procedure as I describe it above on the other hand will only have
result in two splits:
- One for the full invoice amount (in AR)
- One for the credit note amount offsetting the invoice (in AR)

So you could manually correct your payment transaction by
- Deleting the offsetting payment split
- Change the credit note split to be exactly the offset of the invoice

Regards,

Geert

Op donderdag 4 juli 2019 07:04:03 CEST schreef Eric Rathhaus (general) via
gnucash-user: