[GNC] multiple accounts

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Jul 17 16:44:39 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Wed, July 17, 2019 3:42 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:
> I tried setting up another set of books, then when I tried to open my
> original set it would not allow me to open it, it kept opening the
> second set. I had to uninstall Gnucash then open my backup date to open
> the original set of books. ?????

What OS are you on?  If you are on a Mac, then you're hitting the
"clicking on a file does NOT open the file you clicked on" issue, which is
only on a Mac.  Specifically, on a Mac, GnuCash will always open the
last-opened file, regardless of what file/icon you click on.  I.e., on a
Mac you MUST ALWAYS use File -> Open to change to different files.

If you're not on a Mac, then I don't understand what might have happened.
When you do File -> New File it should close the current set of books and
let you create a new one.  And then you can File -> Save to save it (with
a unique name / location).  Then you can File -> Open to change between
them.

-derek

> On 7/17/19 2:02 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Yes.  We call that a "set of books".  And GnuCash will let you have as
>> many different sets of books as you like.  However, GnuCash will only
>> keep
>> one set of books open at a time, so you will have to close and open them
>> to switch between them.  (Or have multiple copies of GnuCash open
>> simultaneously, which may or may not be possible depending on your OS)
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Wed, July 17, 2019 2:54 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:
>>> Can I set up Gnucash for separate accounts, as an example, more than
>>> one
>>> business account and a separate personal account with a totally
>>> separate
>>> set of data files for each to keep up with finances?
>>>
>>> --
>>> /Robert Sisk
>>> sisk.bob at gmail.com
>>> (210)716-6400/

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745