[GNC] Use of "dash" as a Separator Character

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 07:19:02 EDT 2019

I’ve tried using “dash” as account separator, as it’s easily accessible with my left little finger without the need for me to press the shift key (as is the case with the colon).

Unfortunately, when I create and unbalanced or orphan transaction, GnuCash creates a new account (Imbalance-GBP or Orphan-GBP) which breaks the rule that the separator can’t be used as part of an account name.

This is OK until the account is closed and re-opened, when GnuCash appears to have hung, with the Gnucash title-bar bereft of any menu options, and the Main Window unresponsive.

I discovered accidentally that the GnuCash splash screen and a dialogue box warning of the use of the separator character had been obscured by the Main GnuCash window.

The latter may be a Mac OS issue (I’m using GC version 3.5 on an iMac with OS X High Sierra.

I haven’t found reference to these issues in the bug list - are they sufficient to warrant notification?

Regards,

Michael