[GNC] Account report: defined date range

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jul 26 12:02:12 EDT 2019

> On Jul 26, 2019, at 7:49 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> I've read the report section of the guide and tried various reports
>> (including Account report) from the menu without finding the one I want: a
>> list of all transactions in my checking account defined by starting and
>> ending dates.
>
> Using View -> Filter by (or right-clicking on a transaction the the specific
> account) I get a report of all transactions using the account report.
>
> I've not found a report that lists the sum of debits (for an expense
> account) over a defined data range. For example, how much have I spent on
> groceries this month, or on vehicle repairs this year?
>
> Is there a process to produce these results?

Several.

Most obvious are the two expense charts, Reports>Income&Expense>Expense Chart or Reports>Income&Expense>Expense Piechart. If you want the actual numbers, turn on the table on the Display page of Options.

Then there's Reports>Income&Expense>Income Statement/Reports>Income&Expense>Profit&Loss (the two are pretty much the same, just different names). They'll summarize all of your income and expenses for whatever period you choose. The depth of child accounts is adjustable on the Accounts page of Options.

You can also use the Find dialog to select accounts and a date range to get a ledger-style register with all of the matching transactions, then run Reports>Account Report to convert it into a report. Note that the account selection widget in the Find dialog accepts multiple selections.

Regards,
John Ralls