[GNC] Bar chart reports

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jul 26 17:42:10 EDT 2019

> On Jul 26, 2019, at 1:43 PM, John Griessen <john at industromatic.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/26/19 10:42 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> The quickest path to a custom chart is to run the report to get the data you want, and then copy/paste to a spreadsheet and use the charting features there. I think most if not all charts in GnuCash have an option to include a data table that you can use as well.
>
> OK.  How about scripting this?  Has anyone made a bash script to generate a data report, then
> process it into a chart, and save to a file?
>
> When you say "include a data table" I'm lost.  It would not be part of a chart, so included in what?
> Generating a data table, (which to me means name:value pairs from an expense report would be great.  I could bar chart it with any tool.   I don't need the structure of the account levels in gnucash, just choosing which accounts, (or placeholdler aggregating accounts) to bar-chart, then being able to set the appearance details in an outside program is all I am wanting.

GnuCash is generally immune to bash scripts as the only command line argument that does anything separate from the GUI is --get-online-prices. One could script something in Python, but that would involve a lot of low-level work to load a session, find the relevant splits, total them, and format a report.

All graph reports have a "Show table" option on the Display page of report options. It adds an HTML table below the graph that you can copy and paste into a spreadsheet.

Regards,
John Ralls