[GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 14:12:52 EDT 2019

On 6/6/2019 10:07 AM, Stephen C. Camidge wrote:
> For personal use and for most businesses, this would be the appropriate method. For larger businesses with EDP Auditors (do they still exist?) and regulations with accountability for the how data is maintained, the transactions should be locked. However, in that kind of environment, a free program like GNU Cash would not likely meet their needs or be permitted. So, it is safe to continue not to support that feature.

I will however point out, that for experienced computer professionals
like myself, even proprietary "locked" systems would not be "locked".

The point I was making about open source programs was that in THAT case
no great amount of skill/imagination would be required and it would be
perfectly legal (to make your own version of the program sans lock).
Only average programming skills of being able to read source code, edit
it, and recompile.

Do note that large businesses with large DP shops would likely contain
at least SOME people with the level of experience and imagination
necessary to "break" into proprietary code << when I was altering
programs without the source code (programs still in use but lost* source
code) it was perfectly legal as they were our own proprietary programs >>

Secure systems are not secure from those who maintain their security. A
proper audit takes this into account.

Michael D Novack

* Once upon a time, the source code of programs lived on decks of cards.
Decades later (but many decades ago) somebody made all these programs
members of a library on disk << in the case of where I worked, that
somebody was me >>  If some of these decks of cards never were never
handed in to be included in the batches being loaded to disk, the source
code for those programs would later be impossible to find, cards having
been thrown out. I had the joy of disassembling the lost puppies and
rewriting the output of the disassembler into decently human readable
form so the programs could be maintained/altered (disassembler output is
gobbly-gook) That something WAS lost usually not discovered until there
was some need to change it.

It is actually sort of fun, but only if you enjoy hard puzzles.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.