[GNC] Export files for audit

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jun 10 13:51:05 EDT 2019

> On Jun 8, 2019, at 9:00 AM, Mike stagl <M_Stagl at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Side Note- I noticed that the Running Balance column broke when I
> selected Detail Level to Multi-Line in the Transaction Report.  This is
> in GnuCash 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on Debian 9.  Does anyone know if that is
> addressed in 3.5?  I'm so close to the end of the fiscal year I wanted
> to wait to upgrade to 3.5 until after I closed this year's books.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Mike

Mike,

I’m using 3.5.

I don’t think the Running Balance column is ‘broken’ so much as it is now showing something you weren’t expecting.

I can achieve the same effect by selecting multiple accounts to report on instead of just one and using Single as the detail level.

Running Balance shows you the running balance as of that transaction *for that account*. So if you are showing splits of a transaction to other accounts, those individual lines will show the running balance of their own accounts, not the main one you are trying to report on.

If you have something like this:

Assets:Checking
Expenses:Auto
Expenses:Sales Tax

Then each line will report the running balance for each account separately. Certainly, the Auto & Sales Tax splits don’t affect the running balance for Checking, just the Checking split does. (as it balances the other two, you wouldn’t include them again)

What I’m guessing you are looking for is to see the transaction detail, but only show the running balance for the First split account, which would be the one you are running the report for. (Checking in the above example)

I can’t find a way to suppress the Running Balance for the other splits.

If you are wanting to report only a single account, but still show split detail, try opening the register of the target account and then running an Account Report.

It will by default, show all splits as proper debits and credits, but only display the running balance once per transaction on the same line as the debit/credit of the target account.

Regards,
Adrien