[GNC] Future transactions

AEG aeg21212-forum at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 16:33:56 EDT 2019

As the originator of this thread, I apologise for my message silence over the
last 11 days while I've been away, but I'd like to thank Adrien, David,
Colin and Derek for their much appreciated contributions during that time.

I've recently realised that I made a mistake in saying that I'd previously
set the global "Create in advance" to 14 days when I'd actually set the
"Remind in advance" feature instead, so I apologise for that error. I have
to admit that I don't understand why anyone would actually want to CREATE
transactions in advance because they affect the account balances, which is
not something I want to do. For me, it is just a case of wanting to have
advance warning of future transactions so that I can respond in a way that
avoids suddenly becoming overdrawn. I find that the "Remind in advance"
feature is not much help because it only appears in the "Since last run"
window, as far as I am aware.

I'd like to think that suggesting a modification to the "Create in advance"
and "Remind in advance" features to create a more useful feature would be
something worth submitting as a feature request, but looking at the list of
feature requests already awaiting consideration makes me think that adding
to that list would be a waste of time.

Working with what we've got rather than what I'd like to see, I recently
upgraded from 2.6.21 to 3.5.1 following Eric's observation that there is now
an additional feature via Edit/Preferences/Register to set future
transactions to show after a blank transaction. This has partially resolved
one of my associated problems, (in which my numerous future transactions
dominated the account register window leaving the more relevant recent
transactions hidden), which makes the status quo a little more tolerable.

Alan