[GNC] I just don't understand reconciliation

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 02:47:16 EDT 2019

> On 18 Jun 2019, at 06:37, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
>   Hi All,
>   I am confused to the point of tears.
>   I created a dummy account: "bozo" and "Bozo Expense".
>   Initial balance was $100.00 (over payment).  Then I added some charges
>   and another payment.
>   I "pretend" that the 7.00 and 150.00 do not show up on my statement, so
>   I leave
>   them at "n".  The rest I put at "c".
>   Then I hit "reconcile" and tell it the ending "statement date" is
>   06/12/2019.
>   It correctly fills in the ending balance sans the 150.00, which is
>   after the
>   statement date.
>   Everything good so far.  The box in the lower right is correct.  the 7
>   and 150
>   are not "R" checked off, which is the way I want it.  This simulates
>   things not
>   on the statement yet.
>   -135 is what my pretend bank statement would show.  And is the ending
>   balance
>   of -128 would be "IF" the 7 had passed.  And the difference is indeed
>   the 7 that did
>   not pass.  So far I understand.

Gnucash is calculating the ending balance “believing" that the $7 charge would have hit your credit card, but your imaginary credit card statement would have omitted it, leaving an ending balance of $135.

You need to enter $135 in the Reconcile Information box.

>   Now I press "reconcile" and it inserts a weird entry into the register:

When you have checked the relevant entries in the reconciliation window (as in your third screenshot), you’ll get a difference of $0.00.

Now click on the “Finish” button, and the process will be complete, with the transactions you have checked now marked “r”.

>   AND ROYALLY SCREWS UP MY real ending BALANCE!
>   1) Why did it screw up my balance !!!!????

I’m puzzled by this - it looks as though Gnucash was being forced to complete the reconciliation and tried to compensate for the Difference: $7.00.

>   2) Why in the reconcile windows does it not pick up my "n" and "c"
>   entries,

They both indicate “not reconciled”. When the reconciliation is correctly “Finished” they will change to “r”.

>   3) why after reconciling do my "n" and "c"  entries not change?

The reconciliation process hadn’t actually been completed correctly.

>   I am so freaking confused!!!!
>   Someone please rescue me!
>   Many thanks,
>   -T