[GNC] Order of transactions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Mar 3 01:50:37 EST 2019

Lisa,

I will add to David’s advice that you can use the NUM field other than a simple 1,2,3,4...

You might, for example, need or want to keep an actual transaction number with the transaction.

For that case, you can put the real transaction number in the Action or Memo field of the split.

Otherwise, you can use the NUM field to sort transactions with a time value. (with 4 simple caveats)

1. Using the NUM field this way doesn’t magically turn it into a time field, you’re just going to put time info there. It will still think and treat the info as the transaction NUMber.

2. The sorting algorithm stops when it encounters a non-numeric. So you can’t use the : separator for hours:minutes.

3. This also means you can’t use an AM/PM (a/p) designation, you must use 24 hour time.

4. Since these are just numbers, you might not in the future be able to distinguish them from actual transaction numbers so you’ll need some way to indicate this is a time entry for sorting purposes.

I’ve solved this conundrum by entering the time (or best approximation) of the actual transaction occurrence in 24 hour notation, without a separator, and with the suffix “t” for “time”.

So a transaction I’m entering off a receipt in my Cash account (where this is usually the biggest trouble as a Cash account can’t ever be negative which can and likely will happen at some point if you leave GnuCash to its own devices) that has a real-world time stamp of 3:12pm will be entered with the NUM field containing ‘1512t'. (sans the quotes of course)

This will sort the transaction properly based on its actual order of occurrence and at a glance I know this is not a real transaction number. If this transaction also has one of those, I put it in the Action field. (but I have NOT set the ‘Use Action Field for NUM’ preference as I do not want to do so — it would mess up the sorting. I just want a place to put my info.)

Hope this helps.

-----

David,

Thanks for that detailed run-down of the sort order. (I hadn’t bothered to step through the code yet on that one)

Regards,
Adrien