[GNC] Order of transactions

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 2 18:38:09 EST 2019

Lisa

In the register display for an account you will see a field Num. You can
specify a number for each transaction which  will determine the order in
which the transactions are displayed.This however affects all registers in
which the transaction appears as per the second reference below. It is
really meant for entering cheque numbers.

See
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/txns-register-oview.html,
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/book-options.html

The following posts contain useful info as well
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Ordering-Transactions-on-same-date-td4683272.html

and the FAQ
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_order_transactions_in_a_register_so_deposits_are_before_withdrawls.3F
reproduced below:

Q: How do I order transactions in a register so deposits are before
withdrawals?
A: Enter deposits (debits) first, then withdrawals (credits).

When ordering transactions in a register window (the display of transactions
for a particular account), you're really ordering the splits for that
account. The fields examined, in order, are:

The Posted Date. This is the one that's visible and editable in the register
window.
The Transaction's Num field 'unless' you have selected "Use Split Action
Field for Number" in the Accounts tab of Book Options (accessed by
File>Properties in the menus) in which case it will sort on the Action field
for the split 'in the account displayed on the register window'. Note that
there is also a preference on the General tab to make that selection
automatically on new files.
The Transaction Entry Date/time: This is the date and time that the
transaction was first created. It is not editable in the User Interface.
The Transaction Description field.
The Split's memo field.
The Reconcile field.
The amount of the split.
The value of the split.
The Reconcile Date.
The GUID identifying the split.
Thus the Num or Action field is consulted only if the Posted Date is the
same, the Entry Date/Time only if the Num or Action fields are the same, and
so on.

This question is sometimes asked as "how do I reorder transactions so that
they'll match my bank statement?". Don't. You're keeping your own books, not
the bank's. Use the Reconcile window to reconcile the two.

If you insist on reordering, the only way to do it in the UI is to edit the
Num fields on the transactions in question or the Action field for the split
if you've selected that option; this might cause you problems if you're
using that field for something else, like check numbers.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens