[GNC] How to set up Standing Order/Direct Debit with different first amount in GnuCash

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Sun Mar 3 03:35:39 EST 2019

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 15:35, Alan A Holmes said:

[...]
> I'm currently trying to set up a scheduled transaction for a rates bill,
> where there are a total of 8 payments, with the 1st payment a different
> amount to the other 7. Quicken used to allow this as a feature of setting
> up a standing order, but the only way I've found to do this in GnuCash so
> far is to set up 2 scheduled transaction, the first for 1 month and the
> second for 7 months. I've looked through the various documents but not
> found another way. Is there another better/easier way of doing this in
> GnuCash?

My approach is
1. Set up the payment to suit the 2nd-and-subsequent instalments
2. Trigger the SX (maybe well before the actual due date, but so what) by
adjusting the "create in advance" setting
3. Adjust the amnout on the resulting advance (1st) txn
4. Put the "create in advance" back to what it should be
(If the timing is right, the "create in advance" tweaks are unnecessary,
of course.)