[GNC] Music Teacher: tracking balances owed from students

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Mar 4 16:03:58 EST 2019

The short answer is, the workflow here is primarily determined by your business processes, not GnuCash.

You’ve agreed or decided to be paid per lesson, so that’s how you have to do your accounting.

You can use the Duplicate Invoice button to repeat an invoice for a lesson and just change the dates/invoice number. You can even do this for a different customer and also change the customer if you need to bill someone per-lesson that you had not previously.

You can also use manual transactions and rely on the duplicate and auto-fill but then you’ll lose the ability to easily run account statements (Customer Reports) if you need to send them to clients.

I keep my Receivables Due and Payables Due reports open at all times. When I need to add an invoice or bill, I click the total figure which brings up a Customer/Vendor Report I then click the invoice/bill I want to duplicate to view it and then use the Duplicate Invoice button and edit any changes. That’s much faster especially when I have multiple line numbers that stay the same.

Regards,
Adrien