[GNC] apply coefficient to an account

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Tue Mar 5 11:37:37 EST 2019

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 7:21 AM, Peter Münster <pm at a16n.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 05 2019, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> Apply the coefficients how and with what intended result?
>
> It's just a multiplication. If there is for example 1000€ in an account
> and 0.7 must be applied, then there must be 700€ instead of 1000€ in
> the report. Our kayak club has a contract with a public organisation,
> and we must deliver a report, that shows only a part of the whole
> accounting of the club, only the part that concerns the contract. So for
> example 75% of the salary, because the employee spends 25% of his time
> with tasks, that are not connected to the contract.
>

>> Failing there being a report that gets you close enough to what you need you
>> can customize the P&L report: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports
>
> Ok. So I need to learn Scheme, Guile and so on? Or can I hire somebody
> here on the list, who could do that for me? That would be nice.

Not necessarily. You could just create two payroll expense accounts, one chargeable and one not-chargeable and split the payroll expense between the two. Then you can run the P&L report with only the chargeable account selected.

Better still, have the employee keep a time sheet recording the time spent on each task and the bookkeeper can assign the expense to chargeable or not-chargeable depending on the actual time spent. That extends to other expenses as well.

But using a P&L report for billing is weird. More normally you'd negotiate a billing rate for the employee's time and for whatever other expenses you incur and use the business features to generate invoices to the funding organization.

Regards,
John Ralls