[GNC] shared accounts

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Tue Mar 5 15:05:05 EST 2019

I have some assets that I share with my spouse.  Two examples are our
home and a shared bank account.  In each case, when I compute my own net
worth, I want to consider these joint assets with a pre-determined fraction.

I can certainly create liabilities to offset those assets and then enter
transactions to keep them at the preset fraction.  And expenses paid
from a joint bank account I might record as splits, with half going
against equity (?), the other half to expense.  But I'd rather something
more automatic.  I've not found it, aside from my old standby of python
scripts to do checks and spot errors.  Does such a thing exist in gnucash?

Joint ownership is common in the business world, can anyone point me to
what it's called or how it's handled among accountants?  The closest
I've found is the equity method
<https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/accounting-for-joint-ventures.html>
for accounting for joint ventures.  This might just be overkill for my
house and a shared bank account.

--

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57