[GNC] Splitting a multi-year file

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Wed Mar 6 18:00:58 EST 2019

Il 03/03/19 20:29, Christian Kluge ha scritto:

> I’d suggest making balance sheets for each year to exported.
> Afterwards I would use File\Export\Transactions to CSV.
> There I would select the appropriate time range.
> I also would export the account structure to CSV.
> In the one-year-only file I would import the account structure and  make
> entries for the opening balances.
> Lastly I would import the transactions from the CSV files.

Christian, thanks for the detailed explanation.

So far, these are the problems I had:

1) the account selection is a bit of a chore. I have a chart of accounts
which is fairly extensive for a private person (111 accounts) and I
cannot select the top-level accounts and have all subaccounts included,
apparently: when I do that, the top-level accounts are selected plus the
second level accounts of the last top level I clicked. If I start
manually exploding all parts of the account tree and then hitting
ctrl-a, then I get an increasing number of selected accounts, meaning
that "select subaccounts" does not work on currently selected accounts,
just on the last one. Is that to be expected?

2) importing the CSV for the accounts shows an empty preview and I
cannot move past this screen. If I check the file, it looks like a
regular CSV to me and I haven't changed the export defaults. Also, I
have tried adjusting the number of header lines but no luck. Maybe I
have to use "export accounts" instead of "export account tree to csv"?

3) during import, I need to select "gnucash export settings" first, then
I have to match each account from the CSV to the corresponding account
in the tree. There is no default mapping, which is weird considering the
accounts obviously have the same names since they come from the same
source. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Andrea.