[GNC] Splitting a multi-year file

Christian Kluge frakturfreak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 14:29:56 EST 2019

Hi Andrea,

Am 03.03.2019 um 19:19 schrieb Andrea Borgia:
> Hi.
>
> For the past decade, I've had only a few gnucash files, not one per year:
> basically, I'd create a new one when the file would be large enough at the
> end of the year to notice that startup time.
>
> If I wanted to retroactively split them by single year as I started doing
> now, how could I do that? Is there a smarter way to do it other than
> treating it as just another XML file and editing it manually?
>
> Of course, I am aware that I would have to create a few transactions for
> end of year closing and new year opening.
>
> Regards,
> Andrea.

I’d suggest making balance sheets for each year to exported.
Afterwards I would use File\Export\Transactions to CSV.
There I would select the appropriate time range.
I also would export the account structure to CSV.
In the one-year-only file I would import the account structure and  make
entries for the opening balances.
Lastly I would import the transactions from the CSV files.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge