[GNC] New user beginning balances receivables

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Mar 9 19:53:58 EST 2019

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 3:45 AM, Teresa <Teresa at coba-em.com> wrote:
>
> I didn't see a reply from David.. I'm not invoicing from here, the program she was using up until now has so many issues, we don't have a good upload. She has tracked everything in excel.I just need to plug in a number.

You can either plug in the same number used on the invoice sent to the client (my recommendation) or let GnuCash start counting from “1”. (or alternatively, make up a numbering scheme, but unless you really need it, that is not necessary)

> My biggest problem, I closed the program and a ll data is lost. I've never worked in  program where I had to save externally.. guess I'm starting over

In my 30+ years of using computers, I’ve never encountered software that kept the user data *in* the application, but always in a file I saved somewhere. (some apps like e-mail clients ‘appear’ that way, but the data is really in a file somewhere) Even the Excel spreadsheet your working from has to be saved each time you make a change...

I highly doubt the data is entirely lost, the problem is finding it if you didn’t intentionally save it somewhere you remember. GnuCash auto-saves a copy of the file as you work. (unless you’ve told it not to) Do a file search on all files ending in .gnucash.

Regards,
Adrien