[GNC] GNUCash fails to start on Windows 10 after windows update

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Tue Mar 12 01:18:08 EDT 2019

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 2:13 AM, Kraken <buchtickysesodo at centrum.cz> wrote:
>
> I am having exactly the same issue for a couple of months now. GnuCash just
> stopped working, supposedly after a Windows 10 update. Did a clean reinstall
> of GnuCash, removed all references in the registry, tried different versions
> of GnuCash (3.2, 3.4 etc., even 2.6 as far as I remember) and nothing works.
>
> Log just says the same as with the others that have posted here:
> (...)
> * 11:04:24  INFO <gnc.engine> [gnc_hook_lookup] no hook lists
> * 11:04:24  INFO <gnc.app-utils.gsettings> [gnc_gsettings_register_cb]
> schema: general, key: show-account-color-tabs, settings_ptr: 07674488,
> handler_id: 90
> * 11:04:24  INFO <gnc.app-utils.gsettings> [gnc_gsettings_register_cb]
> schema: general, key: tab-position-top, settings_ptr: 07674488, handler_id:
> 712
> * 11:04:24  INFO <gnc.app-utils.gsettings> [gnc_gsettings_register_cb]
> schema: general, key: tab-position-bottom, settings_ptr: 07674488,
> handler_id: 713
> * 11:04:24  INFO <gnc.app-utils.gsettings> [gnc_gsettings_register_cb]
> schema: general, key: tab-position-left, settings_ptr: 07674488, handler_id:
> 714
> * 11:04:24  INFO <gnc.app-utils.gsettings> [gnc_gsettings_register_cb]
> schema: general, key: tab-position-right, settings_ptr: 07674488,
> handler_id: 715
>
> There's no errors in the Windows event log.
>
> I am running another instance of GnuCash on another Windows 10 machine
> without any problems. Is there any other way can send you debug information?

This thread started off being about the Portable Apps version of GnuCash, which we do not support. If you're using that, go pester the Portable Apps maintainers or uninstall it and install GnuCash from https://www.gnucash.org.

If you're using our Windows GnuCash build, or if after installing the latest official release it still crashes, try the latest nightly build from https://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/maint. If that still crashes then please open a bug report at https://bugs.gnucash.org/enter_bug.cgi. Be sure to include Language and Region settings if they're not English (United States); if you've set a locale in environment.user say what it is. If you can set up MSYS2 and get a stack trace of the crash (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace) that would be very helpful.

Regards,
John Ralls