[GNC] CSV Import

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Mar 18 06:14:05 EDT 2019

Op donderdag 14 maart 2019 17:22:48 CET schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> For some reason my Citi Visa account has lost the ability to export file
> in non-CSV formats.  So, running the CSV importer on the file that had
> fields:
>
>     Status, Date, Description, Debit, Credit, MemberName
>
> I mapped Date --> Date,  Description --> Description, Debit -->
> Deposit,  Credit --> Withdrawl
>
> Noticed that there were three rows with amounts in the Credit column and
> all said values where negative!
>
> Ran the importer and saw that those three rows were treated as charges.
> What should I have done?  Especially since Citi put negative values in
> the Credit column.
>
> Could I map both columns as Deposit?  Counter-intuitive but so is Citi
> Cards right now!
>
> --Steve

Unfortunately you can't map both columns to Deposit. We may have to improve
this (as well as disambiguating the names). I couldn't find an enhancement
request for this yet in bugzilla. Feel free to add one so this issue won't get
lost.

As a workaround you can preprocess your csv files to
* either merge the Debit and Credit columns (so you have one column with both
positive and negative numbers and you map this column to "Deposit")
* or make the numbers in the Credit column positive (so you have two columns
with all positive numbers and then map Debit to Deposit and Credit to
Withdrawal)

Geert