[GNC] CSV Import

stephen.m.butler51 stephen.m.butler51 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 17:52:22 EDT 2019

Thanks Geert.  Apologies for top posting and typos.   I'm in Taipei on the way to Manilla and thence to the north end of Luzon Island.  I'll file an enhancement request once I'm back home in a couple of weeks.  For those wishing TMI, please look at www.ihsamission.comSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> Date: 3/18/19  18:14  (GMT+08:00) To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org Cc: "Stephen M. Butler" <kg7je at arrl.net> Subject: Re: [GNC] CSV Import Op donderdag 14 maart 2019 17:22:48 CET schreef Stephen M. Butler:> For some reason my Citi Visa account has lost the ability to export file> in non-CSV formats.  So, running the CSV importer on the file that had> fields:> >     Status, Date, Description, Debit, Credit, MemberName> > I mapped Date --> Date,  Description --> Description, Debit -->> Deposit,  Credit --> Withdrawl> > Noticed that there were three rows with amounts in the Credit column and> all said values where negative!> > Ran the importer and saw that those three rows were treated as charges. > What should I have done?  Especially since Citi put negative values in> the Credit column.> > Could I map both columns as Deposit?  Counter-intuitive but so is Citi> Cards right now!> > --SteveUnfortunately you can't map both columns to Deposit. We may have to improve this (as well as disambiguating the names). I couldn't find an enhancement request for this yet in bugzilla. Feel free to add one so this issue won't get lost.As a workaround you can preprocess your csv files to* either merge the Debit and Credit columns (so you have one column with both positive and negative numbers and you map this column to "Deposit")* or make the numbers in the Credit column positive (so you have two columns with all positive numbers and then map Debit to Deposit and Credit to Withdrawal)Geert