[GNC] The Meaning of Split (previously Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?)

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 14:02:02 EDT 2019

> On 21 Mar 2019, at 14:46, D via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> It seems circular to say that there is a distinction between a simple and compound transaction, and then say a simple transaction is a special case compound transaction. Then we're back at defining the difference between, say, a "split" transaction versus a "multi-split" transaction, which we're trying to move away from as justifiably confusing.

What I meant was that the simple transaction is treated as a special case in that it appears on one line in the relevant GnuCash register - and in the context of some CSV imports might come in as a single line.

> Calling one a "simple" transaction, and the others "compound" seems like enough. Perhaps the explanation of the technical aspects of this (i.e., the structure of a two sided simple, as opposed to an n-sided {n>2} compound transaction), could use the term "split," as it is defined by  Gnucash. This would disambiguate the use of the term "split," such that it would only be used for this specific case.
>
> Regardless, I am still against the "Ledger entry" locution.
>
> Perhaps we need a translation from American English to British English…

I should have thought “Ledger Entry” would work on either side of the Atlantic, if not it’s clearly unsuitable!

Michael