[GNC] The Meaning of Split (previously Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Mar 22 11:10:41 EDT 2019

D <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> It seems circular to say that there is a distinction between a simple
> and compound transaction, and then say a simple transaction is a
> special case compound transaction. Then we're back at defining the
> difference between, say, a "split" transaction versus a "multi-split"
> transaction, which we're trying to move away from as justifiably
> confusing.

The difference is "exactly 2 splits" vs "more than 2 splits".

Simple tranaction: exactly 2 splits.  The basic view mode in the
ledger lets you enter these simply, and the Transfer field shows the
"other" account.

Compound transaction: > 2 splits.  The Transfer field shows "Split
Transaction" and you must expand the transaction to see the other
accounts.

Those ARE the definitions.  If you don't like them, well, I'm sorry, but
it's like saying you don't like the sky being Blue and would prefer if
it was purple with pink polka dots.

The fact remains, a simple transaction *is* a special case of a compound
transaction as far as the UI is concerned.   If you expand a simple
transaction you'll see both splits.

> Calling one a "simple" transaction, and the others "compound" seems
> like enough. Perhaps the explanation of the technical aspects of this
> (i.e., the structure of a two sided simple, as opposed to an n-sided
> {n>2} compound transaction), could use the term "split," as it is
> defined by Gnucash. This would disambiguate the use of the term
> "split," such that it would only be used for this specific case.

I am fine with that approach.  In my mind it's always clear, tho, that
"split transaction" implies "compound transaction", and "transaction
splits" are the individual entries that tie the transaction to each
account.  But whatever, I've only been using these terms within gnucash
for 20 years now.  What do I know?  :)

> Regardless, I am still against the "Ledger entry" locution.

Why?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745