[GNC] The Meaning of Split (previously Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?)

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Mar 23 01:35:11 EDT 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:21:52 +0100
Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:

> > Not saying we CAN'T do it, but seriously, how many words in the
> > English language have both a verb and a noun and can mean slightly
> > different things?  (cheating answer:  many).
> >
> There are many. The confusion however comes from the fact that split
> (noun) is ambiguous in itself. It sometimes means the parts you get
> after splitting something (like in your wine example), and sometimes
> it refers to the gap between the pieces instead. The latter meaning
> is clearly the more obvious one for Micheal and Alan. So if we can
> avoid this confusion by using another term that could make gnucash
> easier to learn.

Geert
We can't fix English, it's a moving target.

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it
means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many
different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s
all.”

― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass