[GNC] The Meaning of Split (previously Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?)

aeg aeg21212-forum at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 23 04:27:52 EDT 2019

Hi Derek,
Thank you for your explanation. I've given this further thought overnight and, although I understand your thinking, your analogy has helped me see where confusion might have arisen.

When you say "split the wood in two" you are using split(v), not split(n).Calling each piece of the result a split(n) is perfectly reasonable,which is what GnuCash does.

If I have a pile of logs that I want to use as firewood, it might be necessary to split(v) them first. I then have a pile of split logs where "split" is being used as an adjective. "Split logs" in the complete term whereas you have chosen to abbreviate it to split(n), which makes no sense if used on its own, as in "I have a pile of splits".

It appears that that is what has happened to the use of split in GnuCash and "split transaction" has been abbreviated to "split", which long-term users have got used to it. Geert's suggested use of the word "entry" for the individual parts of a transaction would surely make sense to all users and still allow for the use of "split entry transaction" when referring to the whole transaction.
Kind regards,
Alan