[GNC] Actual income

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Mar 26 14:17:17 EDT 2019

Income = Revenue - Expenses

The Income Statement is showing you the correct amount.

Your issue with it is that you are using an accrual method of accounting but you want a cash-basis figure. (You are booking Revenue when you earn it with invoices — proper for the accrual method, but you only want to book it when you actually receive payment — that’s cash-basis)

You can abandon the Business Features and change your workflow, or...

Either play with the Cash Flow report to get where you want, or even better, investigate the use of a special account called “Allowance for Doubtful Accounts”. There is plenty of literature online to help with how that account is used. You will be estimating the amount of A/R that is uncollectible and then making adjustments as you determine exact values in later periods.

The Balance Sheet is not intended to report annual Income, it is a snapshot of Assets, Liabilities and Equity on a specific date. (If you are in the habit of closing the revenue and expense accounts each year as Retained Earnings to Equity, this will show you the aggregate retained, but not for any particular fiscal year or calendar year)

Also, I highly recommend you speak to a local CPA. They can guide you on how to keep your books, set up your chart of accounts, and which reports give you which information and they can do so with your local laws and requirements in mind for your particular situation.

Regards,
Adrien