[GNC] Keeping two sets of books

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 31 17:59:09 EDT 2019

On 3/30/19 3:40 PM, taf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just started using Gnucash.  In the past I've used a basic
> bookkeeping package, but it's no longer available. I'm trying to keep
> two sets of books... one for personal accounting and one for a
> corporation.  I'm running Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30) on
> Windows 7; I've set up the books, saving the books into two different
> MySql data bases with separate users and passwords.  So far so good. I
> can switch between sets of books by selecting
>
> File->Open...->
>
> and then in the Open dialog, selecting MySql data format and specifying
> database, userid, and password.  This seems to be a bit klunky... am I
> missing something fundamental?
>
> Ideally I'd like to have two desktop shortcuts, one to use each set of
> books, specifying at least format, database and user within the shortcut.
>
> So... any help?

I have a similar issue. I happen to run Linux, but I imagine the same
would work on a machine running Windows.

1.) Establish one login account for your personal use. E.g., the one you
have now.

2.) Establish a second account for the corporation's books.

3.) I assume this is now all done for your personal book.

4.) Setup a new Gnucash account for the corporation. Perhaps you can
skip that and just move the corporation data from from where it is to
the right directories on the corporation's account.

In Linux, they will be in your directory in GnuCash and .gnucash. I do
not know where they would be in Windows.

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B