[GNC] Problems with getting European share prices

Eric Coates eric.coates at sky.com
Wed May 1 16:34:23 EDT 2019

Hi

This is so weird it must be me ??? otherwise pandemonium would have
reigned here!

About two weeks ago I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.10 and a few days
later to 19.04 (ironically, I was trying to get around some problems)
and installed GnuCash from the standard repository; so I am running
GnuCash 3.4 with Finance::Quote 1.47 on Ubuntu 19.04.

As part of my usual work process, on 30^th April I updated my share
prices as in the past I was using Alphavantage to get UK share prices
and Yahoo-JSON to retrieve European prices. Then, as usual, went to
check that everything was OK.

Although there were no error messages and all the names of my European
shares were shown in the Price Database window there were no prices
against any of them ??? and I mean NO prices. I know that there were some
there at the end of March but everything had gone. Even the little
triangular thingies were missing. As there are only half a dozen shares
in this group I thought to add the prices ???by hand??? but I couldn???t do
it, although I could fill I the fields and clicking Apply gave no
messages nothing appeared in the database.

A further oddity is that in the table of accounts there is a Present
value against each of the European shares ??? to get that GnuCash must be
picking up some price from somewhere. I???ve done some checking around and
I can???t find a reasonable explanation of how the price is determined.

I take an archive copy of the data file at the end of each month. I have
opened several of them (using the standard GnuCash 3.4) and get the same
behaviour with each of them.

As I said, it must be me but - any ideas of what I???m doing wrong.

Or failing that, would I be able to open the 3.5 data file with GnuCash
2.6.21?

Eric

PS: For completeness:

I had not changed the Symbol for any share since the successful update
at the end of March. The Yahoo site shows Deutsche Post as DPW.DE (not
the DPW.F I had been using). Changing the symbol to DPW.DE gave no
different result (again, not even no error message)