[GNC] GC won't load on Ubuntu 19.04

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu May 2 19:44:49 EDT 2019

Right.

The problem is that you build GnuCash on Ubuntu 18.04 that provides libboost-regex.so.1.65.0 then upgraded to Ubuntu 19.04 that provides libboost-regex.so.1.67.0 instead. When the linker tries to assemble gnucash to run it it can't find libboost-regex.so.1.65.0 because it's no longer there. It raises the error you reported:
gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_regex.so.1.65.1:

* You can try to find libboost-1.65 and install it alongside libboost-1.67  (you'll also need to get whatever version of ICU was provided on Ubuntu 18.04). Don't use apt, it doesn't understand having two versions of the same package installed and you'll break a lot of other stuff if you remove the current boost and ICU libraries.

* You can rebuild GnuCash so that it's linked to the newer libraries.

* You can trash your self-build GnuCash and get the newer one from apt.

The last option is the safest because that way the next time you upgrade apt will upgrade GnuCash along with everything else.

Regards,
John Ralls