[GNC] GC won't load on Ubuntu 19.04

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 01:58:51 EDT 2019

On 5/2/2019 3:17 PM, Dennis Powless wrote:
> So, just to be clear I wasn't trying to build GC, just run it and after an
> upgraded ubuntu.  From what I can tell, I'll need to uninstall GC and then
> reinstall it.
>
> I'll try to fully uninstall GC and then install GC.  I'd like to have v
> 3.5, but I've been having issues with the removal of GC after a build.
>
> Dennis
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 10:20 AM John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
>> Boost has the annoying misfeature of versioning their library names so
>> that they can't be upgraded without rebuilding everything dependent on
>> them.  Ubuntu 18.10 and 19.04 provide boost-1.67.0 and you built GnuCash
>> with boost-1.65.0.
>>
>> ICU has the same misfeature but GnuCash doesn't directly link it so that
>> won't generally affect folks building on Linux.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

>>> On May 2, 2019, at 1:11 AM, Dennis Powless <dpowless517 at pobox.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I ran:  sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
>>>
>>> Same output as before.

>> see

>> dock

>>> -----

> .

I just did the upgrade path from Ubuntu 18.04LTS to 19.04 as well.

GnuCash loaded, created the lock file then gave me an error message
window that I didn't write down.  In short, I was told my .gnucash file
did not exist, nor did the device and directory where it had just
created the lock file (It showed up in the Nautilus window, and
disappeared when I closed GnuCash)  Same response whether I used
Nautilus to open a file or GnuCash itself.

I uninstalled GnuCash and reinstalled from the Ubuntu Software catalog
and, so far, all of the features I have used seem to be working
perfectly.  It installed Version 3.4, Build ID: 3.4+(2018-12-30),
Finance::Quote: 1.47.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.