[GNC] Questions

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon May 6 08:06:59 EDT 2019

On 5/6/2019 7:13 AM, Stephen Camidge wrote:
> 1) I set up a new book on the Mac version of gnucash using "A Simple
> Checkbook". The Chart of Accounts places Income below Expenses - why?
> I added Top Level Accounts for Liabilities and it was put below
> Income.  The Transaction Report shows Income below Expenses.  How do I
> change the order?
Collating sequence ( L > I)       Just curious, but why do you want a
different order?

> 2) Income Statement show the selected period in the right order but
> cannot show columns by month. Same with Profit and Loss. Transaction
> report can, but in the wrong order (see 1).
You are asking for a series of "Income Statement" reports for
consecutive periods displayed side by side (each P&L aka Statement of
Revenues and Expenses < what called depends on entity, same report >. In
other words, EACH has a defined start and end date since this report is
for an interval.

To produce such a (finished) report, use an editor capable of supporting
columns and export each, then bring into its proper column. WHY not
"within" gnucash? Stop a moment and think. Think of all the possible
variations that would be wanted (how many to show in parallel, somebody
else might want quarters or years, not months). Think about the after
editing required (the CoA might have had changes, not exactly the same
in each interval).

BTW -- since I keep books for non-profits, usually doing two years in
parallel

> 3) G/L report shows one account only, no matter how many I select.
> Transaction Report can select all.
Why would you expect different reports to be the same in this regard?

Michael D Novack