[GNC] Okay, why won't it let me restore from backup?

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Tue May 7 06:28:41 EDT 2019

On 5/7/19 2:58 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 09:09, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user
> <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>
>> I got back the same closed account.
>
> If you had deleted the original file and replaced it with the new one
> there is no way that it could have opened the old one (as it no longer
> existed).
> In fact do you actually mean that it opened the file but did not show
> the Accounts page where you can see all the accounts?  If so then, as
> has been said in another thread, all you needed to do was to click
> File > New Accounts Page to open it.
>
> The reason it automatically opened an Accounts Page when you did File
>> Open is because it thought it was opening a file it had not seen
> before so brought up the default view.  When you let it automatically
> open the one from the backup it thought it was re-opening the original
> file so restored the pages that you had previously, which was none.
>
> Colin

First I just renamed the file *.bad, then restored.  That
did not work.

Then I created a temporary directory and moved all of the gnucash
entries, logs and all into it, so the main directory was
empty of all gnucash files.  Then restored it again.  It did not
work either.

What did the trick was running it from backup and using Save-As