[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Cricket Onebit cricketbeautiful at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:01:36 EDT 2019

I wish I'd thought of a separate account for what we owe her / she owes us
earlier, sigh, and one for our son to keep things even. I didn't record
things consistently because no method felt "right", and some is on a
separate spreadsheet.

The current plan is print out anything that affects her and do a
spreadsheet. It's fast and reliable, and time is short. (If she turns 18
before I finish, we have to formally get her permission to take money from
her savings account. Not a big deal, but one more step. Although, maybe it
would be best if we waited. A last-minute money grab looks bad.)

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 at 12:21, Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> > On Apr 26, 2019, at 8:49 PM, Cricket Onebit <cricketbeautiful at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > (Aside: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#SQL_Database recommends not
> using
> > the SQL just yet. Several posts on this list say otherwise. Out of date
> > manual, or optimistic / lucky users?)
>
> There was some display issue with business info when I first moved from
> 2.6.19 to 3.0, but that was fixed quickly and no data was lost. That is the
> only issue I’ve encountered personally, but you can check out Bugzilla and
> read over the SQL bugs to see if they scare you away from it, or you find
> you can live with them. (I’m using Sqlite3 backend for a few years now)
>

> > I do need to calculate how much the kids owe us for things they said
> they'd
> > pay us back for. The cheques we wrote are in Quicken, but I didn't split
> > the transactions into "we pay / kid owes" at the time. That mess goes
> back
> > to 2010. I handled each big expense differently. I'll use a spreadsheet
> for
> > the final report rather than trying to get one from Quicken.
>
> I created a tree of accounts under `Assets:Current Assets` like so:
>
> Reimbursements:Family
> Reimbursements:Friends
>
> and then an account for each person under those. I have 5 siblings and we
> often consolidate large gift buys for our parents among other expenses, so
> I use these to track who owes me or who I owe. I have an account for each
> of my parents as well. Sometimes they give me money to buy something for
> them. I’ll first debit it to cash and credit their reimbursement account,
> and then debit their account and credit cash when I make the purchase. I
> don’t involve my expense accounts in this case because it was just a
> pass-through. Those aren’t *my* expenses. I suppose it could get a little
> messier involving cards or bank transfers/deposits but the idea is the
> same. For shared expenses like a large gift, I’ll only expense my portion
> and the rest goes through the reimbursement accounts.
>
> I suppose you could place these under Liabilities instead, but since the
> case is usually that my family owes me, I put them under assets. The sign
> of the balance will tell me which it really is.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

+++

Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.
-- Rudyard Kipling