[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Cricket Onebit cricketbeautiful at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:17:21 EDT 2019

I used Sqlite and Python for a project a few years ago. SQLite was great,
including a few third-party viewers. The Python binding was a bit much to
comfortably wrap my brain around as fast as I wanted to. I was learning
Python, SQL, and re-learning HTML forms and static-state programming, all
at the same time, and making printable forms. Python has a really nice
minimal server for local websites.

I tried Apache and PHP for a local installation of WordPress and was not
happy with it. Too many settings that I didn't understand.

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 at 12:29, Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> > On Apr 26, 2019, at 9:49 PM, Cricket Onebit <cricketbeautiful at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 22:14, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:49 PM Cricket Onebit <
> cricketbeautiful at gmail.com>

> not
> more
> >>>

> >> The "standard" XML files are quick enough for me, though as time goes on
> >> it does take longer to load. I have never tried the database formats;
> the
> >> only upside (at the moment) is they give you some additional nerdy
> >> reporting options.
> >>

> > Don't tempt me. I've spent enough hours learning "just enough" of
> > half-a-dozen languages for various projects that never quite did what I
> > wanted.
>
> Using the Sqlite backend I get one file that I can either use an sqlite
> viewer/query editor on, or using piecash, query directly for any custom
> report I want that isn’t offered by GnuCash. And I don’t have to mess with
> a MySQL db server. (which is fine, but if you don’t really *need* to...)
>
> I also get instant saves as I enter each transaction so no waiting around
> while it writes that massive file back to disk every 10 minutes or so.
>
> Let that temptation sink in.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

+++

Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.
-- Rudyard Kipling