[GNC] Questions

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed May 8 08:58:30 EDT 2019

On 5/7/2019 11:22 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Comparative-period P&L is not yet implemented in GnuCash. (but as Chris Lamm noted, he has a testing version of the report that *might* fit your needs - if you can try it, please do so)

One reason it has not been implemented is that when I began (2007) using
gnucash for organizational accounting I was advised not to bother.  A
non-profit, for annual reports, always shows this year vs last year
Balance Sheet and Statement of Revenues and Expenses (what a non-profit
calls P&L). As a recently retired senior analyst, decades
designing/writing financial systems software, and able to at least read
LISP, I could presumably have managed the scheme for these special
reports. And if I wrote them, I would have shared them.

The lawyer/accountant who said "do it outside of gnucash with a full
power editor" was persuasive, correct that there would STILL be a lot of
editing remaining to be done, so better to do all editing at one time
with one tool designed for the purpose.

Michael D Novack, FLMI