[GNC] Custom Report

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu May 9 08:56:21 EDT 2019

On 5/8/2019 6:24 AM, confused wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to GnuCash.
>
> Would anyone be able to help me with custom reports. I would like to
> generate a monthly report to show my profit and loss. Is there a way to
> customise the dates?
>
> Many thanks!
The P&L (aka Income Statement aka (for a non-profit) Statement of
Revenues and Expenses) is ALWAYS for an interval. You can choose the
start and end date via Edit => Report Options

If new to gnucash I strongly suggest that for every report you choose to
run you investigate all the report options available to you.

What gnucash does not provide (within gnucash) is displaying multiple
runs of this report in parallel (to compare side by side). If you want
that, I suggest exporting the reports and then bringing the raw reports
into a document you then edit with your favorite full power editor app.
I don't think of that as extra work because I am always going to want to
edit before presentation to the board of directors. The CoA needs to be
such that information that is needed for filings is available but that
is NOT how the directors would want to see it. For example, "printing
and postage" is a line item for the 990/990EZ but the board wants to
know what the entire event cost, not how much of that postage. Wants to
see how much made from selling tee shirts, not the "gross sales" and
"cost of goods". Wants to see how much having an intern cost, not how
much of that was reportable on a 1099-MISC and how much reimbursement
for mileage. In other words, the level of detail different, so going to
be editing anyway.

Michael D Novack