[GNC] Hang at start of reconcile

John Bonnett jbonnett at internode.on.net
Mon May 13 07:20:45 EDT 2019

I am running the latest GC v3.5 on Windows 10. I have been using GC for
quite a while but I just recently have had a problem reconciling one
account. It is, of course, the account with most transaction activity!

What happens is that, when I initiate the reconcile, the small window
for entry of the ending balance appears but almost immediately greys
out. At that point the program is unresponsive, and stays that way even
if I leave it for an hour or so. The Task Manager shows the program
running but using no CPU. I can make it use some CPU time by moving the
mouse cursor over the window, so it is not completely frozen.

This behavior only occurs with one account. I reconciled a couple of
other accounts in the same session before I encountered this problem. I
have also reconciled another one since.

Suspecting that the account may be damaged, I ran check & repair on all
accounts, but that did not help.

I have tried restarting GC and rebooting to no avail.

I tried turning on the trace file with --debug and --extra, in case I
might see some messages at the end, but I don't see anything helpful. I
get 15Mb trace files.

Any suggestions about what to try? I am a software developer so am happy
to try whatever you suggest and provide other info.

John Bonnett