[GNC] Recording Deposits in Checking

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed May 15 16:58:46 EDT 2019

On 5/15/2019 4:16 PM, Jimmy R via gnucash-user wrote:
> I just curious if this is the way to record a deposit for a restaurant using
> GNC
> and later the tax payment. Seem like this is the way to go since you can see
> what funds are available for expenses - tax liabilities
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t378619/1.jpg>
>

> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t378619/2.jpg>
The first one (the deposit) is mostly correct. You would do this if you
deposit daily. Otherwise you would be debiting "undeposited cash"
(that's where you would do the split) and then a later transaction for
when you make the deposit.

The second (how you have the liability set up) is possibly not what you
want. But possibly is what you want. I do NOT know the line items you
need for your business tax reporting. Perhaps you DO need to be able to
report "total sakes tax paid". If you do not need this, if you just need
to track whether you have paid the state the "meals tax" you have
collected << in most states can be different from "sales tax" >> I would
just have a single "sales tax" account, credited for collections and
debited for payments made to the state. But I repeat, it is MANY decades
since I did tax filing for a business.

Michael D Novack